Winter is approaching, things to know when hiring a Roofing Company
A roof system’s performance is affected by numerous factors.
Rain, Wind, Snow, Ice, Trees, the Sun… the list goes on and on, over time Mother Nature will have its way with your roof.
Complete roof protection is key to a roof’s effectiveness. If you have missing shingles or torn shingles, you are susceptible to water damage and eventually rot… ewww. If your roof is nearing its end of life (12-14 years in Kentucky) your shingles could be worn out! If they are split or curled its more than likely time to invest in a new roof. A blind eye to these sightings will worsen over time and could cause more damage structurally than originally endured.
One of the most important investments as a homeowner is your roof. It can get frustrating if you are not sure what to look for or what to ask when you are ready to take the leap and contact some companies. Taking the time to learn how to interview a roofing company/contractor is vital in making sure you are making the most educated decisions with your home.
Companies are not all alike, anyone can obtain a truck and a ladder. HKC is a professional Roofing Company that wants to give you a fair price for a job done right the first time.
In your quest for deciding whom you would like to accept an estimate from we have outlined some important guidelines to use, this will help educate you a bit and help you make a safe and sound decision for you and your family.
- Make sure there is a permanent address, telephone number, business license and tax-identification number.
- Insist on seeing copies of liability coverage and workers’ compensation certificates. Make sure the dates of coverage are up to date and effective for the times you will be using their services, if a contractor is not properly insured, you may be liable for accidents that occur on your property. (U.S. workers’ compensation laws vary by state. Consult your state’s laws to determine workers’ compensation insurance requirements.)
- Your state’s Department of Professional Regulation or Licensing Board will have information on your roofing contractor, they will be able to tell you if they are properly licensed or bonded. Some states have specific licensing requirements and some do not.
- Check references & reviews, ask for a list of completed jobs and call the clients to see if they were happy with the services.
- Check to see if the roofing company is a member of any regional or national industry associations. This displays a commitment to professionalism.
- When you receive your proposal, examine it for complete work descriptions and specifications. Make sure you understand it and it is what you want.
- The Better Business Bureau or Department of Professional Regulation are good places to check for any complaints filed against the roofing company in question.
- Keep in mind, you get what you pay for. Fly-By-Night contractors offer an attractive bid but steer clear because more often than not they are uninsured and perform shoddy, second-rate work. They are uninterested in the integrity of their work or the value of you hard earned dollar.
HKC Roofing and Construction has your best interest at heart, we are a local and veteran owned company that built its foundation on quality & honest service. Our Estimators are certified inspectors that no doubt want the job, but more importantly want a happy client. A happy client has friends, and we like friends! Our reputation and quality of work we feel will speak volumes if given the opportunity, as a business that wants to be around for years to come we are uninterested in a quick buck. All estimates given are free-so what are you waiting for?
Give us a call today at 502-212-1081 or if you are in Lexington 859-252-1081 and we will be happy to provide you an estimate free of hassle.