WeatherLock® Self-Sealing Ice & Water Barrier Products
Installing Ice & Water Barriers directly beneath shingles will ensure protection from wind driven rain. Owens Corning’s offers WeatherLock® Self-Sealing Ice & Water Barrier Products and Fiberglas™ Reinforced Felt Underlayment are custom designed for new construction or replacement roof projects.WeatherLock® Self-Sealing Ice & Water Barrier Products can also be used on valleys, vents, chimneys, and skylights where water tends to collect or flow. It’s extremely important to prevent any sort of water collection on a roof simply because of the damage it can cause to your roofing system. Collected water will cause leaking and form ice dam’s, both of which have the capability of flowing into your home’s attic and damaging the interior.
Owens Corning Starter Strip Shingles
Starter Strip Shingles are packaged 2 pieces per shingle, 16 shingles per bundle, 100 lineal feet, and perforated down the center allowing for easy separation, all of which eliminate the need for cutting shingle tabs to create a starter row. Once separated apart, the Starter Strip shingles are aligned next to one another with the sealant aimed towards the eave.
Owens Corning Hip & Ridge Shingles
Hip and Ridge shingles add an elegant, finished look to your roof’s hips and ridges. While Hip and Ridge shingles are sure to increase the character and curb appeal of your home, they also provide excellent protection to your roof’s peak.
VentSure® Ventilation Products
Proper ventilation, along with attic insulation, helps to maintain a comfortable temperature inside your home. Appropriate ventilation will also increase your home’s energy efficiency, prevent moisture damage, and will ultimately increase the longevity of your roof. Roof Ventilation Benefits
- Allows outside air to flow naturally upward and out of attic.
- Promotes a cooler, drier attic.
- Helps prevent moisture from becoming trapped in insulation, structural wood, shingles and roof deck.
- Helps prevent rotting, mildew, drywall damage, peeling paint and warped siding.
- Provides year-round performance for consistent ventilation without energy consumption.
Ventilation is an important component of Owens Corning’s Complete Roofing System. These Owens Corning ventilation products will help prevent damage and premature aging caused by moisture in the winter and excess heat in the summer.
Typical household activities can wreak havoc on a roof and attic if proper roof ventilation is not provided:
- Excessive heat build-up encourages the premature aging and cracking of wood and other roofing materials. Extreme heat also can transmit into living areas which reduces energy efficiency and makes for an uncomfortable climate inside a home.
- In cold weather, warm air generated by laundry, showers, and dish washing can linger in the house and cause moisture build-up.
Proper ventilation and insulation is vital to your home. Top of the House® roofing system, coupled with the appropriate amount of attic insulation will combat these problems and maximize your home’s energy efficiency.
In a balanced system, wind blowing over the ridge creates negative pressure that draws the warmer air out of the attic. Replacement air will then enter through the under eave or soffit vents, then bathes the underside of the roof and exits at the ridge cap through the ridge, roof, or gable vents. Even without wind, the natural convection action of rising warm air maintains a continuous airflow along the underside of the roof.